Saturday, June 23

There is no friend like a sister...

My sister and I aren't twins. We don't have that special bond that begins in the womb and continues for the rest of your life. We aren't even very similar. In fact, you've probably never met two girls who are less a like than us. Yet, for some reason we get along. We've always loved each other and always had a pretty good bond. I'm not sure I would have ever said that she was my best friend while I was growing up...I'm not even sure I knew she was my best friend growing up, but she definitely was my best friend. I idolized her. I thought she was wonderful. In my eyes she could do no wrong. We shared a bedroom and a bed almost our whole lives, we shared a locker the one year that we were in highschool together, we went to the same college- we even took a lot of the same classes and I definitely "followed" in her footsteps and just let her lead me through school, but that's where it all stopped. She got married and moved to Minneapolis and I got married and moved to small town USA. While she was off living the city life and learning how to navigate traffic and enjoying a town with a night life, I was learning how to fish and cut up a deer in my own kitchen and take long walks with my dog and husband around town. It seemed as if the distance between us grew bigger and the differences that we had grew more and more noticeable. That's the best thing about a sister, though, you're stuck with each other and since we didn't have any other sister's we were definitely "stuck" with only each other. As we grew in our marriages and life threw us each one curve ball after another I think we both realized that although our lives aren't anything alike and we don't have a lot of our circumstances in common that we have a bond that is closer and more amazing than any other friend we could meet.
I memorized a poem for a class in college and the end of it says, "For there is no friend like a sister, in calm or stormy weather, to cheer one on the tedious way, to fetch one if one goes astray, to lift one if one totters down, to strengthen whilst one stands." (the goblin market by christina rosetti) This is definitely what Felicia and I have and that is what I pray for my baby girls! I pray that as they grow they will always have a deep and true love for one another. I pray that they will always be there for each other and will always remember to look out for each other. I know that there will be no greater joy than seeing my girls walking with the Lord, but I think the 2nd greatest joy will be seeing them enjoy and love each other as they grow! 
Here are my little "best friends in the making" :)  
 the best part of having twins...they always have someone to "entertain" them and "do" stuff with- even if it is just watch the traffic go by from the front door or wrestle with on the blanket outside :)


Love, Love, Love these two little peanuts!! 
May and Ellie, I pray that you will both always remember your bond. I pray that you will cling together. That you will help each other- physically and emotionally through life. That you will be ready with a hug, a listening ear and a smile or joke, whenever they're needed. That you will encourage and uplift each other. That you would spur one another one to the right things- not towards trouble- although I'm sure you will do plenty of that, too. I pray that you will always and truly be the best of friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment