Thursday, April 30
Wednesday, April 29
Monday, April 27
Maybe a better title for this would be, "what no one ever believes about being a Mom." Now, I really do understand why no one believes this stuff- if they did there would be a lot of women seriously rethinking their desire to have babies. You have to think that it's going to be all wonderful and cuddles and that you'll never regret your decision a day in your life. And, where that first part may not be anywhere close to the truth. The truth is that you will never regret your decision. Being a mom is worth all the nitty gritty that you have to go through!! There are some truths, about being a Mom, that I have picked up in the 3 months that I have been a Mom and for each one, I'm sure there will be another one that I'll pick up in the next 3 months! (apparently motherhood is a like that dream you have when you show up to class in your slippers and realize that the final is today, except that you never studied and you've never been to class before...but, the dream never finishes and you never find out how you did on the test- you just live in that perpetual state of panic and worry!) So, here's to the truths I've learned about being a mother:
1) Stretch marks are real!! They never go away!! They are your friend for life!! It's probably a good thing that you don't know this before you have babies, because who would really want to believe that in a few months there would be awful purple lines going all the way accross your butt, thighs, stomach, legs...(do I need to mention anymore places??) The worst part is that you see all these commercials for stretch mark reducing creams and you think- Oh, that poor thing that has those...good thing I never will, only to realize that a few years later, you're looking at your own body thinking- oh you poor thing too bad I have those! (but you don't even have enough free time to go to the store and try all those advertised creams, so you tell yourself that they wouldn't work anyways) :)
2) Weight loss is inevitable. Now I know that we all see those perfect women who are size 2, 1, or (God forbid) even size 0 after having their children, but are they even real?? Who does that honestly happen to? (definitely not any of my friends, 'cause even if it did we wouldn't be friends for long!! ;)) Before I had Hailey I was certain that I would watch my weight the whole pregnancy and I would do situps after I had my baby and work hard to get back to my pre-pregnancy body! Boy was I dissilusioned. I had no idea that I would be so hungry and devour everything in sight for 9 months straight and then when the baby finally came I would be so tired that I would think of the extra fat as more of a close friend that I really wouldn't want to be without, anyways. (plus, all husbands like the extra padding, right??)
3) Regardless if the kid is yours or not, baby spit up and poopy diapers are never fun to deal with. So many people said to me, "oh, it's different when it's yours" But, I'm here to tell you that the only difference is that if I don't clean it up no one will! (hmmm...is that what they were getting at all along...)
4) No matter how much you love your kid, naptime will always be a welcome respite in your day. It's so wonderful to just put your sleeping baby down in a crib, walk away and think "ahhh, now what will I do with the next hour of time!" Good thing I never have to think about that- I'm always running here, running there, trying to get everything done so that I can cram a little bit of time in to sit at the computer!
The biggest thing that no one ever told me about being a Mom is
5) Every morning you will sit and pray that God would grant you more wisdom, more patience, more love, more grace and just basically that He would make you more like the one person that you swore you'd never be like- your Mom! And, you will pray that in 26 years your daughter will be praying the same thing, so that you, too, can earn a "job well done!"
Friday, April 24
Wednesday, April 22
It seems like just yesterday that we were at our first appointment and saw her heartbeat. At that time, I remember thinking that it was going to take forever to see her and that 9 months was such a long time! Good thing for me that it really wasn't forever and that she did finally make an appearance!
I can't believce how much she has grown in 3 months time!! (or how much I've grown and changed!) I pretty much have become the mom that I never wanted to become- I've done every single thing I swore I never would do- and the weird thing is--I love it!! I love every minute of time that I spend rocking my baby to sleep and I love picking her up when she cries. I can't get enough time spent holding her and take whatever chance I can get!
She just loves getting a bath and she had her last bath on the counter, today! She splashed so much that the entire floor was soaked by the time we were done-so, I guess it's on to the bath tub for her! :)
Tuesday, April 21
I've noticed that our dog is feeling a little bit left out of life. Today, while I was laying on the floor playing with Hailey she just kept jumping around, trying to get in on the action. Then, later when I was bundling Hailey up to go to bible study, Allie just kept following us, thinking that she was gonna get to go somewhere, too. But, she just keeps getting left out! She doesn't get to climb up on the couch with us anymore, because we have another little thing on the couch! And, every time we're taking pictures, we don't even worry about what Allie is doing. Poor thing. There used to be a time when we got out the camera simply to take pictures of her! She doesn't even try and pose for the camera anymore, because she knows that we are not worrying about taking pictures of her. But, just because you think that we don't notice you anymore Allie, doesn't mean that we don't! For instance, I noticed you last night when we came out of the bathroom, trying to look innocent, but the toilet paper on your paw gave you away! Or this morning, when you sat and dropped your kong at my feet for 5 minutes- I noticed you then!
So, this blog is for you, Allie!! You have always been there for me, in the good times-when you dance around the kitchen with me, and in the bad times- when you lick my face as I lay on the bed crying! You, my sweet friend, never get mad when I choose Hailey over you or when I kick you in the middle of the night or make you come inside and stop chasing squirrels. In fact, you never get mad at all- even that time that I accidentally kicked you in the head while trying to show Dad my tae kwon do moves! I love you, Allie, and just remember- if you think that your life is bad now, just wait until Hailey can move!! Then you're really going to be in for it! Good Luck, you're gonna need all you can get.
Monday, April 20
Sunday, April 19
Today, I saw that a few of my friends think that their babies are teething already! Is it really possible for a 3 or 4 month old to be teething?? What does that look like?? I wonder when Hailey will start teething. She's been drooling a lot, which isn't the most pleasant, but I've heard that's a precursor to teething-so, I'm sure we're gonna see a lot more of that as time goes on. I guess I'll have to buy some more bibs...she seems to spit up or drool all over them fairly regularly. It's nicer to change bibs than clothes, though, so I shouldn't complain too much. It just seems like there's always something and it's always something new and different that I'm not prepared for! I guess I really do find myself wishing that these babies came with manuels on how to deal with them!! I don't know if it's a first mom thing or what, but I'm constantly worried that I'm gonna miss something or that I'm gonna do something wrong and premanently ruin Hailey for life....I know that the chances of me doing that are really small, but I can't help but worry about it!(well, I guess I can help it, I jsut choose not to...apparently I like worrying!)
Hailey's little friend, Samuel, is 3 months old today! I can't believe it. Hailey will be 3 months on Wednesday. On the one hand it doesn't seem like that much time has gone by, but on the other hand it seems like she has been a part of our life for so long that I can't even imagine it without her anymore!(in fact, she's so much a part of my life that she's sitting on my lap watching me type-I don't think I possessed the ability to type and hold a baby at the same time a few months ago!) ;) Please be praying for Josie, Hailey's little twin(she was born on the same day as Hailey- only one hour later!!). She is still in the hospital and they think that they're gonna have to be there for another week or two. Her parent's are Ben and Megan and I think they could defnitely use some prayers, also. I'm sure it would be hard to spend a lot of time sitting in the hospital. Plus, they have another daughter, Ellie, who they have to worry about!