Thursday, December 31

New Years...a few resolutions for our family!

Hailey and I went to Marshfield today (we'll have another post on that maybe tomorrow...) and while I had been thinking a lot about the New Year coming and making some resolutions, I hadn't had the time to really put them into any sort of "reality" in my mind, so while Hailey slept I spent my time formulating a plan for my New Year's resolutions. And, to keep myself accountable I'll put them on here, so that you all can know if I'm keeping up with them or not! :)
First, Hailey's resolution for 2010 is to learn to stand on her own and walk! Hopefully that won't be too hard of a feat and she'll catch on pretty quickly! :)
she's already standing and playing, but only if I put stand her up there, she can't quite pull herself up yet! But, she has a whole nother year to accomplish that, so in another 12 months hopefully she'll have gotten it! :)
And, I have two New Years resolutions...It was actually hard to pin it down to only two, but I figured that if I had too many I wouldn't accomplish any of them! :)
Resolution #1: "Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, and all evil speaking, as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow!" I Peter 2:1 I had thought, for a while now, that my resolution would be to think more positively and to stop comparing myself to others, but when I read this verse this morning I knew that it summed up what I wanted my year to be about. I want to focus on the Word of God. I want that to be my all-sustaining power, but I also want to become more "holy" in my life and I feel like this verse just summed it all up in a nice neat little sentence! I'm making a conscious decision to lay aside the evil parts of my nature and reach for the godly, desirable parts that come from spending more time with my Lord and Savior!

Resolution #2: This one is a lot less spiritual and I don't even have a great verse to back it up or anything, but Korey and I are going to become more healthy! Now, before you shut off the computer and lump us in the category of some health nuts, let me explain. We aren't going to be giving up candy or sugar or even soda and coffee, but we are going to commit to making one healthy meal a week and go from there! I'm going to document it here, on my blog, so that I actually keep up with it. I'm going to call it Our 52 Week Experiment. And, each week I'll just document the meal that I made that week and the recipe for it. When I first thought about wanting to eat healthier I intimidated even myself (not to mention my husband, who completely freaked out and threatened to stop at McDonald's on his way home from work everyday!) :) But, the more I've thought about it, prayed about it (yes, I did pray about it...) and read about healthy eating I realized that it doesn't mean I have to give up good taste- or eat vegetables every night.(I guess I would say that Korey and I are kind of picky eaters...we don't like a ton of veggies):) I'm sure there will be meals that I won't like the taste of and that we don't ever make again, but I'm also sure that there will be a lot of yummy tasting meals! And, hopefully I'll be able to start serving more salads with our meals- that instantly makes them healthier! :) I'll give you a sneak peek of what they may look like:
Here is our dinner from last night...I served it with individual salads (mine with spinach, fruit and some nuts and a chinese dressing and Korey's with green leaf lettuce, croutons, peppers, carrots, cheese and western dressing) I purposely made the salads big and only cooked about 15 shrimp, which is a little over one serving. The noodles aren't whole wheat, and I'm sure it would be healthier if they were, but my husband refuses to eat them, so we'll go with what we can get! :) I marinated the shrimp in lemon juice, mustard, garlic and salt and pepper for 10 minutes and cooked them in a tiny bit of the sauce. The rest of the sauce I put over the noodles and then spooned the shrimp on and served it. All in all it took me about 20 minutes to make dinner and it was really good! I feel like it was a healthy meal, because: 1) it was seafood 2) I didn't use any oil in the cooking of it, other than to spray the pan 3) we started the meal with a big salad and didn't over eat the main course! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment