Friday, May 22

Missed bible study

Yesterday Hailey had her 4 month appointment and had to get her shots. She wasn't very happy about that, and in turn, neither were we! I did feel pretty bad for her, but I did really want to go to bible study! So, since I had to miss Bible Study last night, I'll share with you what I learned! :)
We have been studying the book of Titus and this week we were studying Titus 2:11-15. The part that really stuck out to me the most, or the insight that I really gained was in verse 14. It says, "who(speaking of Jesus) gave himself up for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for himself His own special people, zealous for good works." In the study we cross referenced a few places in the Bible where Jesus explains what "good works" are and the one that I most decided I neede to work on is being like Mary and sitting at Jesus' feet and soaking in His presence. I had just talked to my friend, Naomi, who had spent the afternoon at a park with her heavenly daddy just soaking in His presence and reading and journaling. And, while I know that that is no longer practical for me, I do know that I don't spend the time that I should even meditating, reading, or even memorizing scripture. In fact I think I seriuosly fall short!! So, that is my goal for the upcoming weeks- that I learn to spend more time with my Savior, either praying, journaling, or reading and meditating on His Word! I don't know how this can be practically accomplished, but I figure that I spend a lot of time feeding Hailey and if I took just one of the times that I feed her and spent it reading my bible, instead of playing on facebook that would be a good start. And, if I took another time of feeding and spent it memorizing a bible verse I'd kill two birds with one stone- I'd be meditating on the Word and I'd be hiding it in my heart. Plus, if I read/memorize outloud- maybe Hailey will learn to speak Bible verses as her first words. :) Ok, that's maybe a little too much to ask for, but it has to be better than reading "yellow bird, red bird, orange bird...yellow plant, red plant, orange plant..." over and over and over again. (that's her favorite picture book right now!! Actually, it's the only one that she'll actually really look at the pages for a little while!) ;)
So, you should ask me how I'm doing and keep me accoutable- I know that I'm definitely going to need it!! When he talks about trying hard to accomplish things, C.S. Lewis says that you should be, "Not hoping to get to heaven as a reward for your actions, but inevitably wanting to act in a certain way because a first faint gleam of Heaven is already inside you." That is why I want to work on this aspect of my Christian faith. I don't want to be a christian that gets to heaven and just barely eeks by and gets in by the skin of my teeth. I want to be a christian who walks in and can feel confident greeting the Lord, because I have spent a lifetime getting to know Him. I don't want to Waste My Life!! I want it to count for something and I want it to count in a way that my daughter will see it and see Jesus in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment