Monday, January 4

simply trusting every day...

Why is it so hard sometimes to trust God??? I often feel like I need to be praying...Lord, help me with my unbelief!
About the middle of March last year, Korey's company gave him a lay off notice. Basically this meant that in a year (for some reason their contract stated that they needed a years advance notice in order to lay anyone off) his company could decide that he is going to be laid off or that he would continue to work there. At the time we really didn't think too much about it, other than to decide to work on saving some $ in the coming year, just in case it really did happen. But, as the year has come closer and closer it has become increasingly stressful and hard not to think about what it could mean for our little family if Korey lost his job. We basically live a fairly sheltered, really nice little life. We have a great little house in an awesome neighborhood and I'm able to stay home with Hailey. There is no way that Korey would be able to find work as a lineman in or around Wausau, so it would definitely mean a complete change of scenery for us! And, to be honest there are some parts of that that seem like an adventure. I do like change and I like new things,but I'm so comfortable here that it's hard to think about leaving. I'm not sure if I would miss being close to my parent's, the great neighbor's that we have, or our wonderful church family more! They all mean so much to me and leaving any of them would just break my heart. But, in the year that we have been thinking of this lay off God has really done a work in my heart and I can honestly say (today, anyways) that if Korey was told that he was going to loose his job and if he got one in a different city I could leave with a joyful attitude! I definitely did not feel that way this morning- it's amazing what an hour spent reading my Bible and praying did for my attitude! This morning Korey had an interview in Phillips, WI...you've probably never been there...it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere- and I really thought that was Mosinee, but turns out that it's not- it's Phillips! :) Needless to say I was not excited about him having an interview...at least not right away. When he first applied for the job I sort of half heartedly helped him and wasn't too worried about it- it was over 2 months ago and I didn't think that he'd really take the job, even if they offered it to him! But, in those 2 months we've heard more and more about the lay offs and Korey just felt like he needed to have a back up plan for the family...which is probably a very good thing, seeing as how things stand these days! But, anyways, I went with him and my Mom stayed with Hailey for us...and, I decided to hang out at this coffee shop while Korey went to the interview and I was in there feeling sorry for myself, because I didn't know anyone and it wasn't like my favorite coffee shop in Mosinee and I got to thinking about the first time I went to Beatitudes and how I met the old owner the first day and she was a christian and how I felt so much better about life, just knowing there was another christian in town...well, i no more than had the thought out of my head than a sweet lady came up, touched me on my shoulder and asked if I was reading my Bible for pleasure or if I was studying for something...I said pleasure, even though at that moment I was not enjoying what I was reading ;) and she said that she was a christian, too, and truly enjoyed her Bible reading. We chatted for a few more minutes, as only two christians can, and then parted ways- leaving me to ENJOY my Bible reading! God truly reached through that lovely lady and touched my shoulder this morning. I went on to read in I Peter "YOu are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, his own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of him who called you!" (2:9) And I really was convicted that God chose me, He set me apart for himself and He alone knows what I was prepared for and if He has been grooming me for life in Phillips, then who am I to say no??? So, that is where we're at...simply trusting that God has it all planned out and that we don't have to worry about the details! :) (at least for this minute, anyways...it seems like each minute is a struggle sometimes!) Besides, as long as I have my beautiful family what more do I need???

2 comments:

  1. I agree, sometimes it is difficult to trust in God. "Simply trusting," as Edgar Stites hymn phrases it, isn't always so simple! And the irony is that sometimes trusting the Lord is harder when things are going well. We have so many comfortable crutches to lean on that we tend to forget our need for His daily grace.

    It was your title that caught my eye this morning, as today is the 89th anniversary of the death of the author of "Simply Trusting." If you enjoy reading about the background of our hymns and their authors, I invite you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trusting the Lord may not be easy, but remember that we are what we are by His grace. Trusting the Lord at all situations consolidate our relationship to Him. As elievers, God is our Father and we are His children. We are to trust the Lord like how little children trust their parents.

    ReplyDelete